What Spanish taxes must residents pay?

Income tax and IBI for residents

Taxes Monday, March 23, 2015
Resident taxes

If you live in Spain for more than 183 days in a calendar year (and these need not be sequential) then you are a resident. This is not a matter of choice as it is sometimes presented in the forums. The days do not have to be sequential, so it is not sufficient to claim that you left the country for a while and then returned so erasing all the time you’d already spent in your Spanish home.

So, if you are a resident in Spain what taxes should you be paying? First of all, everyone with a property in Spain must pay IBI – Council Tax. This tax goes towards local services and the infrastructure provided by the Town Hall. The amount to pay in Spain is often less than similar taxes that you might have paid in your home country.

The other tax, again as you might expect, is income tax. This is often what worries people most if they are considering moving to Spain to live.

Income tax in Spain

The majority of residents in Spain are required to complete a resident tax declaration annually, before the end of June. Payment of taxes in Spain is retrospective so when you make your declaration before the 25th June 2015 it will cover the period from January 2014 to December 2014.

Not everyone has to make a resident tax declaration. If you only have one pension that is less than 11,200€ then it is not required unless you have other income as well such as interest from savings or rental income. However, we still advise that it is beneficial to make a declaration, even if you don’t have to, as it records formally that you are a fiscal resident in Spain.

On your declaration you will need to declare all your world-wide income including any rental income, interest from savings, income from the sale of a house or any other asset. If you are working in Spain then you must also declare your income from your work. However, if you are on a contract then you will have a ‘retention’ deducted monthly from your salary.

The self-employed (autonomos) pay their tax quarterly but must still make a tax declaration at which point it is calculated whether they have paid too much or too little across the course of the year.

For many people who come to live in Spain, it is the issue of taxation on their pensions that is of most interest. If you have a civil service pension you will already have had your tax on this deducted at source and you will not be taxed twice. You should be aware, however, that the income from this pension is taken into consideration when working out your tax band.

Tax bands and allowances

You don’t pay tax on all your income but have an ‘allowance’ below which you don’t pay tax. Everyone has a basic personal allowance of 5,151€ and this is increased in certain circumstances. For example, if you are over the age of 65 you have an additional allowance of 918€ and this increases when you are over 75 to 1,222€.

New levels of allowance and new tax bands are to be introduced for the tax year 2015.



Tax year 2014

Tax year 2015

Personal allowance



Over the age of 65


+ 1,150€

Over the age of 75


+ 1,400€

Incapacity allowance


+ 3,000€

Incapacity allowance  > 65%


+ 9,000€

Married persons allowance joint tax



Deduction for other work related expenses




Tax bands

Tax year 2014

Tax year 2015

Up to 17,707€


Up to 12,450€


From 17,707€ to 33,007€


From 12,450€ to 20,200€


From 33,007€ to 53,407€


From 20,200€ to 35,200€


From 53,407€ to 120,000€


From 35,200€ to 60,000€


From 120,000€ to 175,000€


Upwards 60,000€


From 175,000€ to 300,000€



Upwards of 300,000€




The calculation of your allowance can be quite complicated and it is advisable to have a fiscal expert to calculate exactly how much you have to pay. However, the example below can give you a rough idea of how the tax is calculated. 

Example: single person of 76 years old; annual income 24,000€ (three separate pensions)

Tax calculation for the tax year 2015

Personal allowance:               5,550€

Over the age of 75:                1,400€

Total:                                      6,950€


Up to 6,950€  =                                    tax free

5,500€  taxed at (20%)  =                     1,100€

7,750€  taxed at (25%)   =                    1,937.5€

3,800€  taxed at (31%)   =                    1,178€


Total to pay =   4,215.5€

Making your resident tax declaration

Fiscal representatives in Spain submit tax declarations annually on behalf of their clients. You will be advised of the documents you need to bring to the appointment and should allocate around an hour for this. At Ábaco we are able to tell you immediately how much your tax will be. In some cases there is even a reimbursement which will be paid directly into your bank account.

Whatever the end result of the calculation, you should feel relieved that you are compliant with the tax laws in Spain.

Do you have any questions?

(+34) 96 670 37 48

Please, call me back Write to us

Leave your comment

Spain Explained by Ábaco Advisers

Request a Call Back

Our specialists are always ready to give you a call.

Call me back

The Ultimate Guide to Non Resident Taxes in Spain

Get the definitive handbook for putting your Spanish taxes in order

The Ultimate Guide to Buying a Property in Spain

Your assets will always be safe

A solution you can trust as a Non-Resident of Spain

Free Calculation of Your Spanish Taxes

Know the market value of your Spanish property and the calculation of your non resident taxes

Subscribe to our newsletter
"The Word on Brexit"

Keep informed about news on Brexit.

The Word on Brexit Edition

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Whether you are, our newsletter "The Word On The Street" keep you informed about what's happening in Spain.

Fields marked with * are obligatory

We guarantee 100% privacy. Your information will not be shared.